Saturday, July 20, 2013

FNSI July 19 (Part 2)

Well, the weather held out, and I settle in for some sewing. The plan was to use PUL (my first time ever) to make a pail liner for wet clothes. I read the instructions...closely I might add...and proceeded to sew two rectangles together using a French seam. This fabric is quite slippery - strike one for fabrics I enjoy working with, but it did have a love swishy type sound when being sewn. That was enjoyable. Slowly but surely I sewed down for the first half of the seam, and poked and prodded and finger pressed open the seam and resewed to encase the first seam. Nice swishy sound sewing the second seam.

Now, I have done French seams a few times before...but never on fabric that I am not supposed to iron. Um, I decided to try it anyway you know (a bit OCD perhaps but I like a nice flat seam), and here is my result.

Notice how Mr. Froggie has lost his head. Head shaking in shame and burning face of frustration I put this aside not knowing which way to go next. I figure I tackle it later today when I've had more time to think...maybe just cut this seam off, and resew using other end of rectangle...I've got about 3" left to spare of this fabric so...

But, last night I was determined to sew. I also wanted to get started on making some bibs for a friends new baby (idea to use PUL nixed due to previous oops) so I moved back to cotton. My absolute favourite fabric for ease of use and soooo forgiving.

This past week, I bought a book called "Baby Essentials Made Easy" by Babyville Boutique. And yesterday I picked up some adorable novelty print cotton fabric, a big roll of tracing paper, and several other sewing items. So I got busy tracing the bib pattern from the book, then proceeded to cut out my front and back pieces and a flannel piece to be sandwiched in between. This must be a night of bloopers because when cutting the backing fabric, I forgot to reverse both the fabric and the pattern piece so my pretty pea novelty print will end up on the wrong side or I may just put the snap on anyway and let it be attached on the left side instead of the right side. And this is the result.


Perfect it is not, but this is the first ever bib I have made and I am pleased enough with the results. So this is the extent of my FNSI. By this point it was almost 10 p.m. and I just couldn't take the heat in my sewing room anymore. Even with the door open and the fan going directly on me enough was enough, it was time to call it a night.

Had a great time though regardless of my bloopers.

20 comments:

  1. OH I do hope you work out how to finish your project and your bib looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed your evening and that the elctricity held out! The bib looks just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bib is very cute. Nothing wrong with having the snap on a different side then usual. Tell people you did it on purpose. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, I've had a few FNSI's just like yours in the past.........your little bib is lovely though and I'm sure having the fastener on the opposite side won't make the slightest bit of difference.........I'm not sure how you can rescue the frogs head though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny thing about the froggie pail liner, some have advised trying duck tape a la Red Green, perhaps in the shape of a band-aid. The Babyville Boutique website has an adorable tutorial for adding cuffs to rubber gloves using PUL so just maybe I will cut off the offending piece and use it for a whole other project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading about your FNSI and those great projects and those fabrics that you used are so cute! You are such a wise person in just putting the bucket cover project aside for later....it's a skill that took me years to master...as a result I had many frustrated sewing moments! Lol even though I know our respective countries have opposite seasons, it still seems weird to hear of your hot weather while we are shivering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe our temperature dropped about 28 degrees since I wrote that comment. The temperature this morning is 9 degrees and so we definitely shivered together last night!! We are not supposed to be cold yet. Hopefully this won't affect my little potted pepper plant...they are so delicate.

      Delete
  7. Don't worry about your mishaps...I think in every crafters cupboard there are projects like yours! LOL! I love the bib, nice fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you got some great stuff done......bloopers???? never.....lessons learnt!!! and anyway, they can always become something else!!!! hee hee thanks for visiting me and joining in......I can't wait to finish my Bethlehem quilt top....definite eye candy!!!! today I hope! xox sugary hugs Wendy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. such beautiful work,well done.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have bloopers like that with the iron, often forget to check it is the right temperature for the fabric! Love your little bib though, I don't think it matters which side it opens from, very cute. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely bibs...great work. I think we all have some 'mistook' in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bib looks great - I love that sweet pea fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for all your wonderful comments and encouragement! This has been a great FNSI!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bib is very cute :) Well done! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute bib, the colours
    are super!!
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the comment on my blog, you are set as no reply so can't answer your email. I remember doing French seams at school far too many years ago. Good luck with the project.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, I've now changed my settings to make it easier.

      Delete
  17. French seams are a beast sometimes! Wise to go on to those cute little bibs and get the 'ggrrr' out of your system!
    Anthea

    ReplyDelete