Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Charity

I've been looking for an outlet for my creativity. I enjoy knitting, sewing, and now I'm developing a love for quilting. And while gift giving is fun...I'm looking for yet another direction. I feel called to help, but up until now, I was not sure in just what direction.

I think I may have found my outlet...

http://teenytears.blogspot.ca/

..."Teeny Tears is a service organization that provides tiny flannel diapers at no charge to hospitals and bereavement support organizations for families that have suffered the loss of a preemie or micropreemie child through stillbirth or NICU loss. ..."

Here's why...several years ago I met some new ladies through the pastor's wife. I was a cub scout leader, and I had him come to speak to our pack so that they could earn their world religion badges. This meeting completely changed the direction of my own life, but that is another story, and from this meeting, I met with his wife...just because she seemed nice. As a mom of three children, she and some other ladies got together weekly to walk and to enjoy each other's company while their children played together. At one of these get togethers (I only went to one), I met another lady there who was early on in her first pregnancy.

A few months later, I learned that this lady lost her baby. Having met this woman only once...I felt strangely compelled to knit and mail her a prayer cloth. Nothing much, but a little hug. My name meant nothing to her and the church ladies told her where she had met me...and through them I learned that this little cloth was the only thing she had to remember her child; and that she was very grateful for it. I've never seen nor heard from this lady again...but I remember feeling very blessed that I had given her some kind of comfort in her hour of need.

I've never done anything else since then...except the quilt for my sister-in-law; but I love this new-to-me organization. I found them online one night last week when I couldn't sleep. If you are interested in knowing more about them, I will encourage you to visit their site...but be prepared if you begin to look at the photos and read their stories. I could not stop reading, and I spent a good four hours tearing and at times sobbing for their losses.

I'm sure you will see more stories here about Teeny Tears...I'm hoping to find a local hospital where I can make my own donations. I'm sure it will not be difficult to turn some of my learn as I go quilt blocks into mini quilts for donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment